Monday, July 29, 2013

Had a rough day in the gym today..but before I talk about that, I'm going to list all the good things that happened to make myself feel better
  1. free coffee at the early morning meeting
  2. random dance party to "get low" at work
  3. a voice to text malfunction resulting in "rectum wrestling"...jokes that resulted from "rectum wrestling"
  4. getting asked to help move a desk at work because I am "the strongest person in the office"
  5. Brian singing the Super Mario song while running, and then clicking his heels
  6. 2 minute PR on my grace time (4:09..not good, but a solid improvement)
  7. Joey and Ben OD-ing on gatorade. True story. 
  8. getting told that I looked lean today (yiii)
  9. the amazing support system that I have from my friends at the gym, who didn't bat an eyelash while I was having a meltdown and made me feel 100x better
So back to the roughness. Did Grace today (30 clean and jerks @ 95#). I finished in 4:09 and almost puked. Then had a pretty epic gym meltdown. I really feel like I'm overtraining. The all knowing wikipedia defines overtraining as
 a physical, behavioral, and emotional condition that occurs when the volume and intensity of an individual's exercise exceeds their recovery capacity. They cease making progress, and can even begin to lose strength and fitness. 
hmmm sounds about right. now let's look at some common symptoms:
  • Persistent muscle soreness check
  • Persistent fatigue check
  • Elevated resting heart rate who knows, probably
  • Reduced heart rate variability obviously haven't checked
  • Increased susceptibility to infections yep, if this stomach thing is an infection...
  • Increased incidence of injuries not yet, but probably getting there
  • Irritability yes
  • Depression not really
  • Mental breakdown oh god yes
  • Depressed immune system yep
  • Constipation or diarrhea think this covers my creepy stomach issue
  • Absence of menstruation ish
  • Frequent minor infections/colds currently stuffy, so yes
  • Insomnia nope 
  • Loss of appetite pretty sure I never could lose my appetite
  • Irritability yes
  • Loss of motivation double yes
  • Loss of enthusiasm and competitive drive YES
soooo according to wikipedia, and my medical knowledge, I am the poster child for overtraining. I'm super stressed about this competition and want to be as prepared as possible, but logically I just need to go easy, take a break, and make sure that I'm physically AND mentally healthy for the famously hot showdown.

Tomorrow I'm going to go in and work on HSPU and maybe some thrusters and be done with crossfit for the day. I already wasn't planning on doing the programmed workout...and I just saw it and REALLY don't want to do it. Could change my mind, but probably not. THEN tomorrow afternoon I'm going to go climbing with Brian...and THEN I'm getting a massage. The gym is closed Weds and Thurs, so will probably use those as rest days too. maybe I'll squeeze some yoga in. we'll see how I feel.

Today's meals were kind of weird. Instead of snacking throughout the day, I ate kind of big meals. Probably has something to do with the fact that my stomach kills after I eat anything, and I want to keep that pain to a minimum while still fueling my body.

Meal 1
Bsn - Syntha-6 Isolate - Vanilla Ice Cream, 1 scoop (38g) 150 7g 2g 25g 20mg 190mg 1g 2g
Trader Joe's - Steamed & Peeled Baby Beets, 2 baby beets (85g) 40 8g 0g 1g 0mg 30mg 7g 2g
Bananas - Raw, 0.5 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 45 12g 0g 1g 0mg 1mg 6g 1g
Trader Joe's - Blueberries- Wild, Organic-Frozen, 70 g 35 9g 0g 1g 0mg 0mg 6g 2g
Trader Joe's - Coconut Milk Beverage - Unsweetened, 4 oz 25 1g 3g 1g 0mg 75mg 1g 0g
Meal 2
Trader Joe's - Raw Large Hazelnuts, 1/4 cup (30 g) 190 5g 18g 5g 0mg 0mg 1g 3g
Meal 3
Wild Squirrel - Vanilla Espresso Almond Butter, 2 tbsp 190 6g 16g 7g 0mg 30mg 2g 4g
Apple, bacon, and rosemary pork meatballs, 4 serving 360 4g 29g 23g 96mg 223mg 3g 1g
Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb) 72 19g 0g 0g 0mg 1mg 14g 3g
Meal 4
Banana Coconut Muffins, 1 serving(s) 229 16g 17g 5g 107mg 39mg 4g 4g
Oscar Mayer - Reduced Sodium Bacon, 2 slice 70 0g 6g 4g 10mg 160mg 0g 0g
Eggs - White only, raw, 0.5 cup 63 1g 0g 13g 0mg 202mg 1g 0g
Earthbound Farm Organic - Power Greens (Spinach, Kale, Chard), 3 oz 20 3g 0g 2g 0mg 130mg 0g 2g
Meal 5
Earth Fare Organic - Sunflower Butter, 1 tbsp 85 4g 7g 3g 0mg 45mg 2g 2g
TOTAL: 1,574 95g 98g 91g 233mg 1,126mg 48g 26g

No comments:

Post a Comment