Sunday, July 7, 2013

fearless


I'm back in town and tomorrow my blog will return to its original purpose, but right now, I need to write about a HUGE decision that I just made. I may have mentioned that in August my gym is hosting the famously hot showdown...and until a few hours ago, I was signed up to compete in the scaled division. I'm not really sure when exactly I started thinking about it, but the more I did...the more I had the feeling that I should really compete RX. I am capable of doing all the movements in RX (except the burpee-muscle ups...but those are "bonus"), but my reasoning excuses for doing scaled were as follows:
  1. My hand stand push ups are inconsistent; I recently tanked in a HSPU workout and don't want to do that in a competition setting
  2. I'm not going to make it very high in the thruster ladder
  3. I want to get comfortable competing before I do a competition rx
So back to me thinking. The more I looked at the scaled WODs, the more I thought I would be taking the easy way out. This is meant in no offense to those who are doing the scaled competition, because those workouts are definitely challenging, but I know that I am capable of more. Plus I hear Coach Joey in the back of my head telling me that he'd rather me get dead last in rxed than win scaled. And like I said before, I am physically capable of doing all the movements in RX. Really I have no excuses. So I did what I always do when I have a tough decision to make...ask Mom and Dad. Oh wait, they aren't quite savvy to crossfit yet. So on to bothering all of my friends. I should add right now, that I am incredibly blessed to have "my people" in my life, this I'm sure will be material for another post, but my gym friends quickly have become my gym family, and without them I really don't know how I would survive most days...ANYWAY. I asked, and asked, and asked, and everyone gave me great advice...mostly kind of hinted I should change to RX, but told me it really was up to me. So then I consulted with the one and only Brian Abram, who I trust implicitly with any nuggets of wisdom relating to crossfit and the like, and he told me exactly what I needed to hear
You should do it Rx. You won't win, but you'll be more excited, people will care more (few people really care what goes on in scaled), and it kind of represents, to me, the exact thing you're training for. You work your ass off, and this is the test of that effort. Take the real test and see how you do

And then, in the parking lot of GNC, I changed my registration from scaled to Rx. So here I am. Slightly terrified, slightly excited, and very aware that I have a whole lot to achieve in a month,  but I know that I made the absolute right decision for where I want to be in the future. Here goes nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment